Saturday, December 17, 2005

I love the season of giving!


Today I woke up and it was snowing. I love the snow. It's just exciting to be able to look out the window and see snow.
This morning, I went with the Denver Rotaract to volunteer sorting toys for the families for Christmas. As I was driving there, in the snow, I saw homeless people walking with blankets just wrapped around them. I am not sure the temperature this morning, but I know it was cold, and once again, snowing.
People were standing on the corners (near the homeless shelters) handing out food, blankets and other things. It was a warm feeling as I saw this. I cannot imagine not having a home to stay warm in at this time.

So, as we got to the Salvation Army, they had so many people there. The boy scouts were all making the food boxes for the families, and we found ourselves sorting toys by age to go to the families. Matt stated it is difficult picking out stuff for people he knows, but truly even more difficult picking out stuff for people we don't know. Anyway, every time I got a toy for a kid, I wasn’t sure if it was good enough or not. Thank for a 14 year old boy there that gave us advice on the cool stuff. Seriously, I think this is another sign of me getting old.

Ok, so, it was awesome to really feel the holiday spirit today. Tonight I decided to just hang out and not really do anything. I went to the Civic building to look at the lights, and they were awesome. Honestly, the best part of my night was when a woman walks up to a homeless man and gives him gloves. She tells him to put them on to keep his hands warm.


What really made me smile is when her three kids came running up to her after and
yelled, did he like them. She was like, I don't really know. Anyway, it was very heartwarming.

So then I made my way to downtown, with a goal of sitting in a Starbucks and finishing my Christmas Cards. It was still snowing outside and families were out. The lights are very festive and the horse and buggies were doing their rounds. The horses had a light layer of snow on their backs and you could see their breath. The people in the back riding were bundled up in blankets. And for a little bit of time there was a choir practicing their carols in the Starbucks. Honestly, I am not sure that I could have asked for a better day!